Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Book Tag

More than 3 weeks back, I had been tagged by one of my favourite bloggers Philip. While I was a good reader, an influx of a laptop purchase along with the availability of cheap foreign film dvd's had brought down my reading spree to alarmingly low levels. So a big thanks to Philip in rejuvinating my enthusiasm for reading.

Mumbai , as a city, had always fascinated me. I have never been there. But the facts I have heard about the unique Amchi Mumbai life has always made me curious in knowing more about this great metro. Suketu Mehtas "Maximum City" dwelved on the different shades of Mumbai life. But this was a non-fictional account. Recently, I came across "Breathless in Mumbai" by Murzban.F.Shroff, which is a series of fictional tales on different occupants of Mumbai.

Ok, so the rules of the tag are as follows:
Pick up the nearest book.
Open to page 123.
Find the fifth sentence.
Post the next three sentences.
Tag five people, and acknowledge the person who tagged you.

Page 123 takes me to the middle of a tale ' The Queen guards her Own'. This tale depicts the heartwarming relationship of a carriage driver and his beloved horse. The fifth sentence describes a person living in the same locality as the carriage driver who has taken begging as a profession and even trains children for it.


He knew whom to find. He knew boyfriends wishing to impress their girlfriends, mothers waiting for their children outside schools, businessmen in their cars, locked in important discussions, and foreign tourists who'd never seen anything like this - all of them came under the spell of Amir Jawaab's act.
Working the street he gotto know others like him, other beggars not as successful. At first, he'd give them free advice, telling them how to playact successfully.


I don't know whom to tag. Anyone interested can take up this nice tag. Happy tagging!

8 comments:

Philip said...

Thanks for doing the tag :)

And I've made a not to read 'Breathless in Mumbai'. There is also a similar book by Vikram Chandra which I liked...collection of long short stories called 'Love and Longing in Bombay.

Solitaire said...

At least yours looks better than mine. I had to pick up a textbook.

Karthik said...

@Philip: Have to pick up Vikram Chandra's book now :)

@Solitaire: I would rather not read any book than picking one of those text books ..hehe

Deepti said...

Seems to be an interesting book :)
will read this

Karthik said...

@deepti: Yes, it is interesting. Actually I found the fictional tales to be better than non-fictional accounts of city life.

Deepti said...

No updates since long!!

Karthik said...

@deepti: What to do yaar? Looks like a blogger's block!!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.