Friday, August 1, 2008

The Sixteenth Day

Karna had risen very early. It was the sixteenth day of the war. Dawn had not yet touched the skies. But he could not sleep any longer. He was weary, both physically and mentally. The Kaurava army had lost its two best warriors. Bheeshma lay in his death bed of arrows while the Acharya was slain the day back. Now Duryodhana had chosen his best friend as the Supreme Commander.

Five days of battle had drained much of the energy from the Suryaputra. But how could he refuse the offer from Duryodhana. Wasn't it he who made him the ruler of Anga when he was ridiculed by everyone in front of the royal audience? Wasn't it he whose salt he had eaten from that day? Wasn't it he who made him an equal among unequals?

With all these thoughts he walked slowly towards the river. Closing his eyes he slowly invoked the Sun God. "What brings you at this early hour my Son?". Karna opened his eyes to find Lord Surya before him. The built up frustration, helplessness and anger in Karna had reached a point of release. "Why do you call me your son? Am I not Radheya? I am worse than an orphan. What curse is this? My mother abandoned me for no fault of mine. I was denied the marriage to Draupadi because of my supposedly low lineage. For no reason, I was denied a brother's love or a mother's affection. I am the sacrificial animal in the selfish game played by all others".

Surya stood silently while his son had vent out the suppressed rage and frustration within him. Smilingly, he replied "Whatever you said is correct my Son. But do not blame your mother and brothers. Whatever your mother did was justified at that point of time. Had she kept you, it would have brought not only her and you but even your entire family a bad name. Your brothers would have grown up hating you more. " The Lord continued "Everything is pre-ordained my son. I am not blaming you for joining sides with Duryodhan. But remember that finally what is destined to happen will happen. I think you will approve of what I say from seeing the events that have occurred in the first fifteen day of this war. Lord Vishnu in the form of Krishna is himself in the Pandava camp. But Duryodhan refuses to believe even after viewing the Vishwaroopa. Your fate is not decided by your lineage , my Son, It is decided by your acts, your thoughts and your decisions."

Coming back to his normal-self . Karna replied " Pardon me for my harsh words, Father. My anger is a result of me being a paradox. I am a rightful royal, but people consider me a low-born. I am praised by many for my un-selfish nature and intense discipline but yet cursed by Rishis. At this point of time, I only live to serve Duryodhan in the best way possible. Let me at least be a great friend. My rival, Arjuna, awaits me today at battle. Let me give my best at the battle-ground. I seek your blessings."


Surya then blessed Karna who then proceeded towards the Kaurava camp. Seeing him going away Lord Surya thought of the pre-determined outcome of this great battle. Tears began to flow from his eyes as he thought of Karna. The sixteenth day of war had begun.
Karna is one of the unsung heroes of Mahabharata. He was brave, unselfish, disciplined, obedient , respectful and loyal. Yet he did not choose the right friend or fight for the just cause. Hence he perished. But at the same his commitment of friendship is unquestioned.
True friends will always be by your side when you need them. But make sure you all choose the right friends. Happy Friendship Day to all of you out there!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

even bheeshma and drona cud be accused of not chosing the right side and perished, but they all commanded more respect than karna

karna was just plain unlucky

Destination Infinity said...

Nice theme you have chosen for the friendship's day post. I didn't guess it till I came to the last line. A different post for the friendship day indeed!

Destination Infinity

Karthik said...

@sandeep: Yes, he was unlucky.

@Destination: Thanx for your nice words :-)

മേക്കാട് said...

a nice article. thank you for posting this.

Karthik said...

@makekad: Thanx for visiting!

Deepti said...

wow .. great post .. what a wonderful way to describe friendship :) Wish you the same :D
sometimes even Gods dont have answers to some questions .. maybe they are best left unanswered :)

Karthik said...

@Deepti: Thanx for the wishes! Yes, its better to leave some meanings unanswered.

Deepti said...

You are tagged.. :)

Anonymous said...

saw ur posts by chance...awesome post!true friendship can never be explained better, i always thought the best example was karna s friendship with duryodhana...u just put it so well!!!

Karthik said...

@anon: Thanx for visiting. Would have been better if you gave your name..And yes, Karna's friendship with Duryodhana was also the base theme for Mani Ratnam's film 'Dalapathy'