Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Quote Tag

Ok, I have been tagged by Deepti

Very interesting tag indeed. The rules are as follows. (Ctrl-C Ctrl-V from Deepti's post who had done the same from Thomas).

Jot down 5 of your favorite quotes from the various books you’ve read. If you don’t have the books with you now, googling (Wikiquotes and the like) can be used to find them. Tag five people and acknowledge the person who tagged you.

1.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep

But I have many promises to keep

And miles to go before I sleep

- Robert Frost

I love these lines from the great poet. Encourages us to strive for something.

2.
Film-makers say that they approach every film as their first film

I approach each of my film as though it were my last film


- Stanley Kubrick

Words from one of the greatest directors of Hollywood. The master of symbolisms who made outrageous pieces of art like 'Dr.Strangelove' and 'A Clockwork Orange'. Originally slated to make the 'Schindlers List' , he gave the reply to people who asked him on Steen Spielberg's effort as "The Holocaust was so horrible that it is difficult to be even depicted accurately through a film"


3.
The glory is not in never falling


But in rising every time you fall


- Old Chinese Proverb

Well, no need to explain the above. I have always loved to read old Chinese proverbs.


4.
Science without religion is lame


Religion without science is blind

- Albert Einstein

A great message from someone whom I believe was more of an agnostic than an atheist.


5.
One who knows to forgive is a man


One who knows to ask for forgiveness is a great man
- A quote from the lead character in the film 'Virumaandi'

Why I like this quote is because the dialogue is spoken by the lead actress to the lead actor. She tames his rogue like character and makes him understand the futility of violence. A far-cry from the usual Indian film heroes who teach the heroine on good manners.

As earlier, I am not tagging anyone. Anyone who is interested can take up this tag. Thanx again to Deepti for tagging me.

5 comments:

Deepti said...

Loved all the quotes , especially Frost and Kubrick .. Thanks for taking it up :)

thomas said...

Frost is my fav poet and Kubrick is my fav director next to Padmarajan. I consider both of them in the same category, each of their films is starkly different from the ones they made previously, and their choice of stories are somewhat odd but capturing.

Karthik said...

@Deepti: My pleasure buddy :) And Frost was said to be Nehru's fav poet.

@Thomas: I think films of Kubrick, Padmarajan and Kamal (Hey Ram) have to be felt more than understood. Allegories, symbolisms, metaphors..Prof. Robert Langdon would have been proud :-)

Solitaire said...

I think I can learn a thing or two from quote number 5.

Karthik said...

@solitaire: Are you serious? I was surprised that noo ne talked about that one :-)